Sydney, NSW
3/9 Barwon Park Road, St. Peters Sydney Park AIDS Memorial Groves since 15 May 1994
1200 names
After the Brickworks at the bottom of King Street Newtown in Sydney’s inner west closed at the end of WW II, the clay pits were used as garbage dump for some decades. In 1990, the South Sydney City Council acquired the property o turn it into a park. Having its own nursery established on the site, by 1992 the Council invited community groups to plant trees to help forming Sydney Park, as it was called.
At around this period, when many young people were dying from the AIDS epidemic, members of the gay community approached South Sydney City Council to be considered as a community group planting trees to commemorate people who had died of AIDS.
After 18 months, the Council approved the plan and on 15 May 1994 the first planting by the AIDS Memorial Groves group took place. Initially thought to be a one-off event, the Council arranged three plantings a year.
By 1996 the AIDS Memorial Groves group had planted on eight occasions and found a name for the Groves: SPAIDS - Sydney Park AIDS Memorial Groves.
A Reflection Area with a permanent stone sculpture and circular surround was built by the Council in 2001 as a focal point and gathering place. The dedication took place on 27 May 2001 unveiling a plaque by South Sydney Mayor John Fowler and project initiator Mannie De Saxe.
When the park became fully laid out with trees grown to full height in 2004, community plantings were reduced to once a year taking place on National Tree Day which is usually the last Sunday in July.
By the end of 2007 about 8,000 trees had been planted, and 1,200 names recorded of people who have died of AIDS.

Sydney Park AIDS Memorial Groves Tree Planting Project